Mid/South Wales White Water Weekend (06.11.2021 – 07.11.2021)
Download this event to my calendar - iCal
Date(s) 06/11/2021 - 07/11/2021
Booking Cut Off: 03/11/2021 at 11pm
Schedule: Options are to arrive Friday and then spend all of Saturday and Sunday daytime paddling ~10am-4pm each day. Expect to be ready to leave the accommodation at 9am each day, as shuttles take a while and the car parks can get very busy. We also want to ensure there is plenty of daylight and get off the water at a reasonable hour.
Type: Beginner/Intermediate White Water
Suitability: Confident with Capsizing with a Spray Deck (whilst not essential we highly recommend doing a Moving Water Taster Session or Man-Made White Water Course first)
Accommodation: Cwm Chwefru Cottages Llanafan Fawr, Llanafan-fawr, LD2 3YG, United Kingdom (Kingfisher Cottage and Kite 2 – more details)
Description: Come and join us for some white water in South Wales, the location where we can explore sections of the Usk, Wye, Tywi and more!
- The River Wye: The River Wye (Welsh: Afon Gwy) is the fourth-longest river in the UK, stretching some 250 kilometres (155 miles) from its source on Plynlimon in mid Wales to the Severn estuary. For much of its length the river forms part of the border between England and Wales. The Wye Valley (lower part) is designated an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
- The River Usk: The river rises on the northern slopes of the Black Mountain, Wales, in the westernmost part of the Brecon Beacons National Park. Initially forming the boundary between Carmarthenshire and Powys, it flows north into Usk Reservoir, then east by Sennybridge to Brecon before turning southeast to flow by Talybont-on-Usk, Crickhowell and Abergavenny after which it takes a more southerly course. The river consists of several small easy ledge drops and a few rapids.
Food: Please arrange your own Friday evening meal, breakfast, lunches and plenty of drinks, and ideally a sealed tub and dry bag to transport your lunches in. There will be an option of finding a pub/restaurant on the Saturday evening, or alternatively you can stay at the accommodation and cook your own food.
Kit/Equipment Hire: Equipment is always available for use at official club activities however there is no equipment stored onsite for these events, so if you require to equipment please complete a hire request. We highly recommend where possible that you are able to transport your own kit, however understand not everyone has a van or roof rack especially those new to the sport, if this is the case ensure you fill in your request soon as possible. Equipment should be collected at the Wednesday Mixed/Open (pool, lido, canal) Session before the event and returned the following Wednesday after. You can read more about our equipment, hire and usage here.
PLEASE ADD FULL NAMES FOR EVERYONE YOU ARE BOOKING FOR IN THE COMMENTS AND ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION THAT MAY HELP US ACCOMIDATE YOU SUCH AS IF YOU REQUIRE USE OF CLUB EQUIPMENT
If you want bookings to appear in your "my bookings" you will require to log in if you have not already done so.
Event Expectations and Terms
- We strongly advise use of bank transfer for payments
- Arrive ready to paddle (where applicable) and always let us know when you have arrived
- Adhere to latest Event Booking Terms
- Adhere to latest Equipment Hire and Usage Terms
- Adhere to latest Blackwater Valley Canoe Club COVID-19 Guidance
- Adhere to latest official Government COVID-19 Advice