Time(s)1:30 pm - 4:30 pm
CANCELLED – READ OUR COVID-19 STATEMENT
Date(s): 31st October 2020
Time(s): 1:30pm (approx. 1-3hrs)
- 1:30pm – Arrivals
- 2:00pm – Halloween Games
- 2:30pm – Changing Time, Later Arrivals
- 3:00pm – Start of Taster Session
Type: Introductory Taster Sessions to Moving Water
Suitability: For the main taster session you should be confident capsizing ideally with a spray deck, however for those that are not there is some neighbouring flat water that is suitable for most levels too.
Location: Shepperton Weir, Lock Island, (behind Shepperton Lock) Ferry Lane, Shepperton, Middlesex TW17 9LW
Food: Please bring with suitable food, snacks and drinks and ideally a sealed tub and dry bag to transport them in.
We shall once again be hosting another introduction to moving water with an opportunity to learn the basics of moving flow and practice ferry gliding and use of edge control. We shall start with some Halloween games suitable for everyone youth and adults included at 13:30 that shall last for approx. 30 mins followed by the taster session approx. 60 mins long. The introductory session shall start on the flat, progress gradually onto the flow. Due to the nature of the venue its possible to spectate the whole session and so it shall also be possible for you to leave at any point during the session so long as you let the volunteers know. Sometimes the session will even be extended if there is sufficient volunteering and participant interests to do so.
Although we are intending to run the session at Shepperton and every effort will be made to ensure a good evening of paddling, please remember that it is a weather-dependent sport, so there are no guarantees the event could be subject to last minute venue changes if the condition is not considered safe.
The club is now open to everyone of all competency levels; should the Covid-19 situation change the club may have to return to placing a minimum competency level upon participants. Should this happen participants shall be expected to self-assess at what stage they can suitably participate. The club may increase or decrease the stage at any point so please check back against the event or guidance to check the stage before arriving at your activity. See our COVID-19 Guidance for more details on the club's different reopening stages.
Everyone should continue to:
- You must register for sessions on arrival (including spectators and volunteers)
- Arrive ready to paddle
- Bring your own mask and hand sanitiser
- Respect venue procedures and one way systems
- Make every effort to book in advanced including spectators and volunteers as this will help us speed up the check in process
- Payments by bank transfer are strongly advised, where cash is necessary please bring exact money
- Masks should be worn and person limits followed in enclosed spaces such as boat stores and changing rooms
- Please limit use to one craft per person per session and avoid sharing equipment
- All equipment must be washed or sprayed with disinfectant after/ between uses
- Read the Blackwater Valley Canoe Club COVID-19 Guidance
- Adhere to the latest social distancing and official government advice
- Read the latest Event Booking Terms regarding club activities
- Whilst you will not be required to book equipment, please read and adhere to the latest club equipment hire and usage terms
BOOKINGS ARE CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE
THIS EVENT IS NOW CLOSED