CANCELLED – READ OUR COVID-19 STATEMENT
Date(s): 25th April 2020
Type: Introductory Taster Sessions
Suitability: Any Volunteers
Location: Garners Field, Sheephatch Lane, Tilford (nearest post code GU10 2AQ)
Food: Please arrange your own lunch and drinks.
For the last few years we have run a come and try it session for the Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and Parents on the Saturday from about 10.00 to 17.00.
Ideally we should try and get to Garners field for about 9am on the day.
The campsite is next to the River Wey, here it is quite shallow and narrow, the format for the day is 20 to 30 minute come and try it sessions on the water in kayaks. The BVCC helpers role on the land is to fit BA’s, fit paddlers to boats and paddles, give some basic instructions, slide kayaks into the water and extract them at the end of the session. Those in the water (it is just under waist deep on me in most of the river so we are standing in the water rather being in boats) is to keep them safe and within the boundaries we have set, give them basic coaching and maybe empty a boat or two when they have fallen in. We usually get 200 or so paddlers on the water throughout the day, it is quite hard work as we are always on the go but we do get a break for lunch and get fed.
We would like to get as many boats, paddles and BA’s to the site on the Friday evening.
Can you help?
- delivering boats / kit before/after the event?
- on the bank, part or all of the day?
- on the water, part or all of the day?
p.s. If you are coming on the day don’t forget to bring a mug / cup with you for a brew!
The club is now open to everyone of all competency levels; should the Covid-19 situation change the club may have to return to placing a minimum competency level upon participants. Should this happen participants shall be expected to self-assess at what stage they can suitably participate. The club may increase or decrease the stage at any point so please check back against the event or guidance to check the stage before arriving at your activity. See our COVID-19 Guidance for more details on the club's different reopening stages.
Everyone should continue to:
- You must register for sessions on arrival (including spectators and volunteers)
- Arrive ready to paddle
- Bring your own mask and hand sanitiser
- Respect venue procedures and one way systems
- Make every effort to book in advanced including spectators and volunteers as this will help us speed up the check in process
- Payments by bank transfer are strongly advised, where cash is necessary please bring exact money
- Masks should be worn and person limits followed in enclosed spaces such as boat stores and changing rooms
- Please limit use to one craft per person per session and avoid sharing equipment
- All equipment must be washed or sprayed with disinfectant after/ between uses
- Read the Blackwater Valley Canoe Club COVID-19 Guidance
- Adhere to the latest social distancing and official government advice
- Read the latest Event Booking Terms regarding club activities
- Whilst you will not be required to book equipment, please read and adhere to the latest club equipment hire and usage terms
BOOKINGS ARE CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE
THIS EVENT IS NOW CLOSED